Thursday, July 7, 2011

Migraines are nasty!

Last night had me in bed at 7pm. I felt terrible and I felt guilty. Being a sole parent means when you are sick, you just keep on rolling on. You have no choice, you have to do what needs to be done and just suck it up. Last night however I could not. I had to lay down. I sough the dark, cool, comfy-ness of my bedroom and I couldn't hold it off any longer.

I went to lay down and let the kids stay up a little bit to watch a movie on the kids channel, all the while feeling guilty that I wasn't in the lounge room with them. I felt even more guilty when I started to nod off and told them they would have to go to bed too because I couldn't stay awake to keep an eye on them.

Now I know I wasn't fair, my 8 year old has always been more responsible than the average (even though lately she has shocked me a few times with less than stellar behavior) and they were both behaving very well when I went to lay down, happy to just sit and watch their movie. I admit, I felt bad and even worse about it this morning. I think I should have just let them stay up until their movie was finished, I should have trusted them a little more than I do, because in general they deserve my trust, they haven't done anything beyond normal child behavior when they slip up, and lets face it, I know my girls are a little more mature than the average. (That is NOT biased, "my kids are better than yours and absolutely awesome" Mum talk I promise)

I am tough on my kids. I know being a sole parent has a lot to do with that, but not all. I have expectations on how children should behave, and I admit I am absolutely disgusted by how a lot of children behave these days. I expect and demand my children to have manners, to be polite, to do as they are asked by an adult, to be respectful and helpful. I would certainly hate to be a teacher these days, with the lack of discipline and care some parents show. I can not believe the behavior of their children, and it is the PARENTS fault!
I will be first to admit though, that I am too hard on my 8 year old. I have tried to reign that in a little, but with her always being that little bit older in her make up, it's easy to forget she is just an 8 year old little girl. I ask too much of her sometimes because I need help, and that's wrong, I know it is. It is something I am constantly trying to improve on.

Ahhh the trials and tribulations of being a parent. Ain't life grand.......

3 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

I am happy to discover your new blog! My husband suffers from severe migraines, thankfully not often, but they really do incapacitate you. Sometimes, even as Mom's, we have to put ourselves first when the need arises. I think you made a fair decision to keep the girls safe, and even if they were unhappy, they will later understand your reasoning, when they are grown if not before!

I agree with you that too many children today are undisciplined and out of control. They behave terribly in public and worse in school! I was strict with my kids, maybe a little too hard on them at times, but they turned out great and didn't get into any real trouble growing up, and I am so grateful for that! The only real regret I have is not making more time to play with them, being to fussy about getting housework done. Everynow and then it's ok to have dessert first, or stay up late watching movies and sleep in. Enjoy them while they are young, they grow up so fast you'll blink and they'll be teenagers, and then out on their own! I bet you are doing much better than you think, because you care. It's hard being a single Mom, give yourself some credit! :-)

Maude Lynn said...

My little girl is eight, and I find myself constantly adjusting between babying her and expecting too much. She just turned 8; it seems to kind of an odd age.

Diary of a Complicated Woman said...

Thanks for stopping by guys :) This is just my place where I don't worry about what others think.

Josie - you always tell me how it is and I love that. Yes they grow too fast, and I am trying to live a little with them. They really are great kids.

Mama Zen - I am happy to hear someone else is finding this age hard to work out. IT is exactly as you described. I know my 8 year old want to play with her friends and is like "ummm bye mum" with no hug or kiss, but then when she is home she want hugs and kisses and to be treated a little different. LOL

Post a Comment